Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Buttermilk Pie (Inspired by Threadgill's)


I never appreciated living in Austin while I had the chance.

I mean, it didn't help that I was 11 years old and not keen on appreciating much (other than my wicked scooter and the ice cream truck), but still. I lived in Austin. Had parents who loved to eat at the original Threadgill's and I'm pretty sure I pouted every time I was there because they didn't have chicken nuggets or an ice cream truck.

But they had buttermilk pie.

And now, my family has buttermilk pie.

It's a southern thing and now that we're out of Alaska, it's a family thing.

It's delicious, despite my first attempt browning a skin on it waaaay too quickly. The trick is to cover the top of the pie with a bit of foil for the first 30 minutes...similar to tenting a chicken.

Happy eating, ya'll!

Buttermilk Pie

Ingredients:

1 10-inch pie shell unbaked

3 Cups Sugar
 1/4 C flour
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter, melted

 6 eggs
1 C buttermilk
2 Tbs water
1 Tsp lemon juice
1 Tsp vanilla extract

Instructions:


Preheat oven to 350.
Whisk sugar and flour into melted butter, then add eggs one at a time.

Add liquid ingredients.

Pour filling into pie shell (I always seem to have extra filling that I bake in a dish)Place shell on cookie sheeet in preheated oven
Bake for at least one hour or until filling is set in the center of the pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment